What is it?
The Notifiable Data Breach (NDB) Scheme is an amendment to the Privacy Act 1988 that comes into effect from 22 February 2018. The NDB scheme sets out the obligations of organisations to notify individuals after a data breach has disclosed their personal information and that disclosure is likely to cause serious harm to the individual. Notification of the breach must also be provided to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
Who does it apply to?
The scheme applies to all entities that are currently subject to the Privacy Act – as a general rule, this includes all Australian government, business or not-for-profit organisations with an annual turnover of $3 million or more.
What needs to be addressed?
To ensure that applicable organisations are able to respond appropriately in the event of a breach, the following needs to be addressed:
• The ability to identify and respond to security incidents in a timely manner;
• Implement processes to assess if a breach is likely to cause serious harm to individuals;
• Develop a communication plan for notifying relevant parties;
• Ensure your notifications meet minimum requirements as defined by the OAIC;
• Implement remediation activities to avoid the incident reoccurring in the future.
How to notify?
When an organisation suspects or has confirmed that a data breach has occurred, it will need to promptly notify individuals that are likely at risk of serious harm. The Commissioner must also be notified as soon as practicable with a statement outlining the data breach.
Notifications must include the following information:
• The identity and contact details of the organisation;
• A description of the data breach;
• What personal information has been breached;
• Steps that individuals should take in response to the data breach.
How to comply?
General guidance is provided by the OAIC and can be found here: https://oaic.gov.au/privacy-law/privacy-act/notifiable-data-breaches-scheme
If you need assistance with meeting your notification obligations, Asterisk can assist with implementing incident detection and response procedures and communications plans to ensure your organisation is ready to take action should a breach occur.*
* If you have not yet sought legal advice on your organisation’s exact eligibility and obligations under the Privacy Act, Asterisk recommends consulting an appropriate legal professional to ensure all legal requirements have been considered.